I've been packing and preparing all day, and I'm taking a break. Just a few minutes until I run to the store for some GF oats, so that I can make granola.

A: Animals. Talk about any animals you have, had, or want.

The first pet I ever had was Gonzo the hermit crab. I was probably 3 or 4.


I thought he was pretty cute. He'd climb around on my hand and it tickled like crazy!

My mom was a substitute teacher at our church's school, so we ended up loaning him to the school as a class pet. I remember the day I came traipsing in, asking for Gonzo, only to find out that they killed him! Yes! They killed my hermit crab! What's more, he didn't even get a proper burial-- they flushed him down the toilet.

Needless to say, I was heartbroken.

I've wanted a constrictor snake ever since I got to hold an albino burmese python at the county fair around age 7 or 8.


My mom was always afraid it'd get out and eat the cat, though... or the kids. I couldn't stand the thought of losing my cat, so I held off. (The kids? Eh, not so much. ^_^)

I bought a couple of zebra finches with my birthday money one year.


I named them Donny and Marie. (Yes, after the Osmonds. What can I say?) Our neighbor girl opened the cage and Marie flew away, and then I accidentally killed Donny by leaving him in the summer sun some time later.

However, it was Donny outside in the cage (while he was still alive!) that brought around my beautiful kitten, Autumn.


I had her for several years. Not long after she joined our family, she presented us with three kittens- Jade, Jasmine, and Panther, all as pitch black as she. When we left Mom to go into foster care and Mom moved in with her boyfriend, they all kind of went feral and disappeared. Panther made a reappearance for a time, but he, too, finally succumbed to the call of the wild.

When K and I rejoined Mom, we settled into our more permanent apartment home, where another black cat, Inkadink (Inky for short) adopted us. He hung around for years, but the family had to give him to the  pound when they moved across the country. He was set for euthanasia, but C worked at the shelter at that time, and told me he escaped. I figured he would. He was a wiley one. Lazy, but smart.

While I was at Bible college, I had a plant named Harvey. He was the best. Very sturdy. I don't know what kind of plant he was, but he was sure happy to see me. He bloomed constantly, even out of season. One day, though, he was tragically snapped in half by my friend's crazy driving. Even though I tried to heal his wounds, he was never the same, and I put him out of his misery after a while.

About six months after moving to Idaho, I found the current love of my life, Juneaux, on the side of the road. He's my baby boy. Unfortunately, he suffers from severe radius curvus, but I simply don't have the means to get it fixed (several thousand dollars). When he's not going through a growth spurt, it doesn't really bother him. He'll never be an outdoors cat, though, because of this. It puts him at a distinct disadvantage for hunting and defending himself. I'll just coddle him indoors. :)

The week after I found him. 

Intently staring at a spider... 

  He pretty much likes chewing on anything of mine.    


     
Playing "Goalie"-- one of our favorite games there at the beginning.

  
"Torpedo"-- definitely his favorite game. (a.k.a. "Crazed Attack Monster")

 
 I taught him to be a regular gentleman ;)

"Helping" me pack for my trip south (Thanks, son. Sure appreciate that.)

Then there's Emily, who isn't mine, but the family's. I insisted that Juneaux needed a sister when we got the phone call about a stray kitten found in the area. She's cute, but a few fries short of a Happy Meal. At least they get along (now).






0 thoughts:

Post a Comment