What is...?



What is a mile, a span of distance?
On paper it means nothing--
insignificant millimeters on a map.
But when that mile multiplies a thousand-plus times,
it keeps me from your side,
and I wonder how I ever thought Alaska wasn't very far from here.

What is an hour? Sixty minutes is all,
a drop in the bucket of a day well-spent.
Elastic, shape-shifting increment of time--
one rushing by, late for a date with Destiny,
another casually wandering through, enjoying the sights,
yet another digging claws painfully deep,
afraid of its fate and refusing to budge.
The last one knows me well-- it sits on my lap and
breathes down my neck as we wait, together, for your call.

What is a hand? They are all around me,
shapes, sizes, colors-- all varying.
They bend, they grasp, they close, they open,
they work and rest and bear the brunt of our intentions...
They also unite, heart to heart. They calm and comfort.
I look at my hands, and I think of your hands,
and I wonder how they would look together?

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment