Simple Woman's Daybook

For today... Sunday, February 5th, 2012

Outside my window... Two cars, mine and my grandparent's. Some stray cats, probably. Sand. Lots and lots of sand.

I am thinking... about food. I'm hungry. And the evangelistic series I'm going to watch tonight. And my meeting for work tomorrow morning- the beginning of my next "phase".

I am thankful... for Jesus, and his understanding. For getting the internet figured out BY MYSELF! (Well, with an article on the internet...) For my grandparents and their hospitality. For their new blender.

From the learning room... Flexor carpi radialus tendon.

I am wearing... Track pants, green t-shirt, a band-aid.

I am going... to fix supper. To text E about our meeting. To watch the 2nd half of Dances With Wolves.

I am reading...  Reuben's Portion- Josephine Cunnington Edwards. I read it at least once every time I visit my grandparents, along with "Johnny, Come Home" and "Faded Love".

I am hoping... to earn money.

I am looking forward to... working with the groups. Getting my snow tires off.

I am hearing... the TV in the other room, Grampa playing solitaire on the computer.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Figure out work, go hiking at least 3 times, get snow tires off, begin working on sermon, plan out song service and work on special music for vesper's next week.

Here is a "picture for thought" I am sharing:


2 thoughts:

  • Anonymous | September 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

    I've read Faded Love, and I've wondered but can't find anything on what (or who) Johnny Come Home, or Rueben's portion are about. Could you give me an idea?

  • Cassandra | September 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM

    Sure thing! Johnny Come Home is about a kind of redneck kid who grows up and sets off on his own because he doesn't want to be looked down on anymore. He works his way through life, has some neat adventures, and eventually finds God in his trapping cabin on a mountain when a colporteur comes to visit him.

    Reuben's Portion is about a soldier from a wealthy family whose plantation was destroyed in the Civil War. He vows that he'll build a legacy for himself and his future that will never be destroyed like his family's wealth was. He and his family are doing pretty well when a neighbor introduces them to Uriah Smith's Thoughts On Daniel And Revelation, which changes their lives. The rest of the book is their fight to be faithful to the truths that they learn and God working on Reuben's heart regarding his "portion" that he is determined will never be destroyed.

    They're both very good. The characters and stories are compelling, yet homespun and comforting. That's what keeps me coming back. You may also want to check out The Enchanted Pillowcase, which is set in Africa. (It actually has three stories in one book.)

Post a Comment