Love and force

There must be, there has to be, a difference between sharing something with someone because you actually care about them, and sharing something with someone because you're trying to make them into what you think they should be.

I guess it all comes down to motivation.

Check this:
In matters of conscience, the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another's mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. (Bam! Take that!) God gives to every soul freedom to think and to follow his own convictions. "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God." No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another. In all matters where principle is involved, "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." (Rom. 14:12, 5) In Christ's kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity.

So I'm struggling to find balance. I'm coming to grips with the fact that I am not Holy Spirit Jr. It's not my job to make people "right". But when do I step in and say something? I've got friends from back in the day that are throwing their lives away... and I have no idea what to do about it.

Then again, take a look at my family. I've come home and preached at them for the last 2 Christmases in a row, because I want our family to be functional SO BAD. I figure that if they just followed through on the truth they've been taught, then it'll all work itself out... right? Not so. Knowing about the Sabbath hasn't healed my family. Trying to turn them vegan hasn't healed their hearts.

So I guess the thing is... my surrender. Like, "Yes, God. Okay. I want to be totally yours, for better or worse, until death do us part." And then, from that, knowing that, though I don't have a window into their hearts, he does. Listen, listen to what he has to say... What shall I do for this person? What do I say? When do I say? Don't say anything? Okay, sure. Tell them about ______? You got it.

I think that's really all I can do. Just listen. And love 'em. That phrase up there, "uplifting humanity"... that's what it's about. Lifting people higher. Giving them hope.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment