Readings

'Cause you can never hear enough about my wedding, right?! Right.

Last night I came across a couple of readings, and I shared them with C, to kind of feel out what he might like for the ceremony. He really liked the first, as did I, and he described the second as, "a good description of love".

I'm thinking that the first would be great as the vows that we seal and frame. The second may work as part of the officiant's reading/speech thingy. I'm still not sure how it's all going to work.

What I really think I'm gonna do is just lay low and collect inspiration, then as the time draws nigh I'll hijack C out for sushi or something, and we'll write the ceremony together. That's what I really want.

Before posting the two readings, though, I did want to mention that I woke up this morning, still sick, but much boosted and buoyed by the discovery that the C family sent me a package!! (It came while I was sleeping.) I'll have to take some pics and get them up here later, but it is a lovely little box carved from a chunk of aspen log. The drawer is shaped like a heart, and it's got a little stick drawer-pull. Even better than that? It's got another secret little heart shaped drawer in the backside of the first drawer!!!! (I cannot use enough exclamation points to describe this thing!)

I feel so loved :) And they nailed it perfectly. I adore it. And I adore them. I am so blessed to be loved by so many great people, I tell you.

And, also, my midterm grade for Intro to Essential Sciences is 98%. As my teacher said, "You can't get much better than that. Keep up the good work!" Yayee.

So! The readings!

Traditional Irish/Celtic Wedding Vow

You cannot possess me for I belong to myself.
But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give.
You cannot command me, for I am a free person.
But I shall serve you in those ways you require,
And the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand.
I pledge to you that yours will be the name I cry aloud in the night,
And the eyes into which I smile in the morning.
I pledge to you the first bite of my meat and the first drink from my cup.
I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care.
I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine.
I shall not slander you, nor you me.
I shall honor you above all others, and when we quarrel we shall do so in
Private and tell no strangers our grievances.
This is my wedding vow to you
This is the marriage of equals.


To Love Is Not To Possess
James Kavanaugh

To love is not to possess,
To own or imprison,
Nor to lose one's self in another.
Love is to join and separate,
To walk alone and together,
To find a laughing freedom
That lonely isolation does not permit.
It is finally to be able
To be who we really are
No longer clinging in childish dependency
Nor docilely living separate lives in silence,
It is to be perfectly one's self
And perfectly joined in permanent commitment
To another--and to one's inner self.
Love only endures when it moves like waves,
Receding and returning gently or passionately,
Or moving lovingly like the tide
In the moon's own predictable harmony,
Because finally, despite a child's scars
Or an adult's deepest wounds,
They are openly free to be
Who they really are--and always secretly were,
In the very core of their being
Where true and lasting love can alone abide.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment