Ahhhhhhlmost done!

Tomorrow is the last day that I visit schools. That went fast.

It was both easier and tougher than I thought it would be.

I had way more fun than I thought I would, but I really struggled with the initial appointment-setting.

Driving around LA wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I've only gotten lost once, and traffic can be avoided or tolerated.

Interestingly, I struggled with intimidation sometimes, usually with 6th, 7th, or 8th graders. It seems like, when talking to those grades, it can either be really good, or really awkward. I love that age group, and I think I connect with them better than with the smaller children. But when they're just not really responding, it's tempting to try to change myself to be what they want and what they expect (or what I think they want and expect!). However, I have not given into this temptation, or staggered under the weight of intimidation. I've decided to just be myself, and they can take it or leave it. I'm older than they are, after all. I've had more experience. I know who I am. They're the ones changing, not me.

It was good practice for the summer. Sure, it was just a smidge of interaction, but I'm sure that I'll feel the pressure to be "cool" in their eyes later on as well. Everyone wants to be wanted. But I'm not going to alter myself for them... especially when I don't really know what's going on in their heads! They may be thinking the total opposite of what I'm thinking they're thinking!

So it's been good. I'm looking forward to the summer itself, when I get to work more hands-on with the kids. But I definitely know now that God has given me the gift of connection- being able to connect with adults and kids alike. People just like me. I don't know why. Granted, not everyone does, but most people do. That will definitely be to my advantage in ministry. (I wonder what picture this puzzle piece will fit into?)

So, basically, time has flown, and I'm not sure where it all went! I'll be working at Camp on the weekends,  but I'll have the week free. I'll have to create a schedule for myself so I won't go absolutely bananas. Something like, Monday: Do 1 ch. classical guitar; Tuesday: Do one ch. Dave Ramsey book; Weds: Cel. Rec. and talk to H; Thurs: Go grocery shopping, make food for weekend; Fri: Clean apartment, head to camp; Sunday: head home, do laundry. (Or maybe I'll be going up on Thursday and coming back on Monday? I dunno.)

One of the blogs I follow, Single Dad Laughing, has just come out with a book. It's called "The Real Dad Rules". It's interesting, because this guy is not Christian, as far as I can tell. He believes in a lot of the Christian philosophies, but he's not a professing Christ-follower. However, he sees the need that a lot of us Christians (especially us girls at SOULS!) have seen as well- "Where are the men?" Our world needs men that will stand up and be real men! He notes the degeneration of the family unit, and talks pretty plainly about it... and it amazes me because we don't necessarily share the same point of view, but we both see the glaring need. I'm looking for godly men that will stand up and be the husbands and fathers that God has called them to be. He's looking for the same thing, but without God in the mix. It's just really neat to hear a man saying that, and calling other men to a higher standard. (Finally!)

1 thoughts:

  • Hope | May 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM

    As I read through "Telling Yourself the Truth" I love reading how you are doing that!!! Your entry here showed what the "old you" was beginning to think and therefore feel intimidation and the temptation to change who you were so the kids would like you but then you counter it with the truth and not give into it. Then you bring out the positive out of the situation. I LOVE IT!

Post a Comment